So I’m going to try and learn Japanese (again?) because of reasons. Okay, I should say my reason. My reason is because I’d like to help my kid(s) be bilingual without relying on a romance language. So I’ve picked Japanese because I have more background in it than any other non-Spanish second language.
And for the record, I took Japanese in elementary school! I also took two semesters of it some years ago. I remember a little but not nearly enough.
I’m going to be using textfugu.com, the Genki texts, and lots and lots of podcasts. I’ll try to keep my progress updated here because this type of thing will help reinforce good habits.
kk here’s my practice:
1. Should I bother to learn romaji?
2. Which “alphabet” is used to write all the “vocabulary words.
3. Where did kanji come from?
The Chinese. Again and again and again.
4. Which “alphabet” do you use to write foreign words?
5. Which “alphabet” tends to be more “boxy shaped” and “rigid.”
6. Do Hiragana and Katakana consist of the same sounds?
7. Which “alphabets” are you going to learn on TextFugu?
Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji
8. Which “alphabet” would you use to write the “Roma” in Romaji (Roma = Rome).
I guess I need to get a Japanese kana thing for this.
WISH ME LUCK!